The low-carb diet has been a popular diet plan for a long time – especially when it comes to weight loss.
As it sounds, it restricts the intake of carbohydrates such as the ones found in sugary foods, pasta and bread.
This diet is high in protein, fat and healthy vegetables.
Studies have shown that a low-carb diet can promote weight loss and improve your health at the same time.
How does a low-carb diet works?
As mentioned above, this diet focuses on a good amount of fats and proteins and limiting the intake of carbs.
Lowering the carb intake will move the fatty acids into your blood and will be transported to the liver, where some of these fatty acids will turn into ketones.
Then these ketones and fatty acids will be used as the source of energy in the absence of carbs.
What to Eat on a Low-Carb diet?
In general, it includes the food rich in protein, so here is a list of some food items which you can add to your list while on a low-carb diet:
- Meat: Chicken, lamb and pork
- Vegetables: Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli
- Fruits: Apple, Orange, Strawberries (not more than 1 piece a day)
- Nuts: Almonds, Walnuts
- Fats and Oil: Coconut Oil, Fish Oil, Butter
- Fish: Salmon, trout
- High-fat dairy: Cheese, yogurt and butter (If you are aiming to lose weight, be careful with cheese, so you don’t overeat)
What not to eat?
Mainly, let’s focus on avoiding foods with high carb contents:
- Trans fats: Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
- Processed foods: Ignore factory-made food.
- Sugar: Avoid food with added sugars, such as fruit juices, candies, ice-cream and soft drinks.
- Bread and Grains: Most bread and grains are too high in carbs to include on a low-carb diet.
- Some Fruits: Banana, raisins, mango, pear
- Beer: You can replace them with dry wine and spirits.
Benefits of a Low-Carb Diet
There are multiple benefits of following this diet and here is a list to motivate you:
1. Weight Loss
Many studies have shown that this can help you lose weight in the short-term if you lower your calories and increase your physical activities.
This diet can prove to be very effective in losing that belly fat.
2. Health Benefits
Following such diet can help you overcome some serious health situations including metabolic syndrome, diabetes, high blood pressure and insulin levels.
This diet would reduce your appetite and make you feel full, this will automatically reduce your calory-intake, which will again lead to weight loss.
Risks in a Low-Carb Diet
Before getting on such a diet, you need to understand that there could be some downsides as well.
This diet does not suit everyone, some people really feel miserable.
In some cases, a very low-carb diet can lead tò a rare condition called nondiabetic ketoacidosis.
However, this diet is safe for the majority of people.
A low-carb diet limits the carb intake and has high protein and fat intake.
It is proven, that a low-carb diet can help in your weight loss goal.
This is a great way for a healthy life and fitness.